This quick checklist will help you make sure you are on the right track for a successful event. It is a generic checklist which requires adapting for your specific event, whether that is a conference, exhibition, festival, launch or other. But in general the basics underlying any event remain broadly similar.
1. Event Vision – Why are you putting the event on, what are your key objectives, what does your event look like?
2. Budgets and Resources – How much money and people do you have? Don’t forget to include volunteer help and contra sponsorships.
3. Decide the date and venue – Dates impact availability and pricing. December is a busy month for end of year celebrations. Could you shift your celebration to January for a better deal from venues?
4. Book the date and venue – Check for other event industry clashes as these could impact the number of people that could come to your event.
5. Book speakers and entertainment – Make sure your delegates will not be disappointed. Getting this content right for your event right is crucial. It’s best to do your homework to make sure you have the best you can.
6. Begin marketing, social media and PR – Start as soon as you know your event will go ahead. Put out little snippets of what’s to come to gain interest.
7. Buy insurance, check licensing requirements and obtain approvals – Make sure you comply with the legal side of things otherwise your event could be stopped.
8. Keep marketing and selling – It sounds obvious but you need to keep the energy going to obtain the maximum impact for your event.
9. Issue delegate/sponsors/speakers information packs – How else will they know where to go? It can be a lot of fun and a lesson in creativity in putting the packs together.
10. Deliver your event – This is your time – keep calm but enjoy the experience.
11. Send out your press releases – Too many events do not make the most of the publicity available.
12. Evaluate your event – Determine whether your vision was met and your objectives achieved? Did it all work well, what have you learned for the next event?